The 2023 Indian Premier League (IPL) will begin on March 31 with a first match of IPL 2023 between the defending champions Gujarat Titans and the Chennai Super Kings at Ahmedabad’s historic Narendra Modi Stadium. Here in this article you will find the updated TATA IPL 2023 points table list including played, win, loss, tie, no results, net run rate and points.
This season, like the previous one, will include ten teams, with each team playing seven home games and as many away games over their 14-match league cycle.
The top four clubs will advance to the Playoffs. While the top two teams will be given an extra chance to qualify for the finals, the teams finishing third and fourth will compete in a sudden death game (Eliminator) to gain a spot in the second qualifier, where they will face the loser of Q1.
Table of Contents
TATA IPL 2023 Points Table List:
(Note: The IPL t20 points table 2023 will start getting updated once the IPL 2023 starts.)
|1||Kolkata Knight Riders||14||6||8||0||-0.239||12|
|3||Chennai Super Kings||14||8||5||1||+0.652||17|
|7||Royal Challengers Bangalore||14||7||7||0||+0.137||14|
|9||Lucknow Super Giants||14||8||5||1||+0.284||17|
P : Played | W : Win | L : Loss | T : Tie | NR : No Results | NRR : Net Run Rate | PTS : Points
TATA IPL 2023 Points Table Regulations
Each of the ten IPL franchises’ primary goal is to finish in the top four of the Tata IPL 2023 Points Table following the completion of their 14 league-stage contests.
The secondary goal is to finish in the top two of the Tata IPL 2023 Points Table, since the top two teams have an extra chance to qualify for the IPL Finals.
The TATA IPL 2023 points table is determined by the number of points accumulated by each team. If two teams finish with the same number of points, their position in the points table is determined by “Net Run Rate” (NRR).
On that basis, the following are the rules for gaining points in the TATA IPL 2023 points table:
- A win earns each team two points.
- If the game is abandoned or ended abruptly as No Result, a team receives one point.
- In the event of a loss, a team receives 0 points.
The ‘Net Run Rate’ is calculated to determine the final place of the teams if more than one of them ends up with similar points.
In the same event, a team’s NRR is computed as the difference between ‘the number of runs scored by the team to the number of overs faced’ and ‘the number of runs conceded by the team to the number of overs bowled’.
Trivia about the IPL Standings
In the history of the IPL, no team has ever advanced to the Playoffs with fewer than 12 points.
- The Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) and Deccan Chargers (now defunct) are the only two teams to have earned four points in an IPL season, the fewest by any franchise.
- Only the Kolkata Knight Riders and the Deccan Chargers (now defunct) have never finished first in the Indian Premier League Points table yet have won the tournament.
- The Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) are the first IPL team to finish first in the points table yet never win the championship. They’ve done it three times now.
- In the IPL 2020, two groups of three teams were tied on points (Sunrisers Hyderabad, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kolkata Knight Riders were tied on 14 while Punjab Kings, Chennai Super Kings and Rajasthan Royals were tied on 12 each).
- In the 2010 IPL, four teams were deadlocked on 14 points: Chennai Super Kings, Royal Challengers Bangalore, Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals), and Kolkata Knight Riders.
- The greatest NRR earned by any team at the end of the league stage is +1.107 in IPL 2020 by the Mumbai Indians, while the lowest is -1.436 in IPL 2015 by Kings XI Punjab (now Punjab Kings).
- In an IPL season, the greatest amount of points scored by a team is 22. Rajasthan Royals did it in 2008, Delhi Daredevils (now Delhi Capitals) did it in 2012, Chennai Super Kings and Mumbai Indians did it in 2013, and Kings XI Punjab (now Punjab Kings) did it in 2014.
- Mumbai Indians finished 10th in the IPL 2022 for the first time in their history.
For IPL Purple cap winners list see our blog
TO see the IPL orange cap winners list go to our blog
What do the for/against score points mean in the TATA IPL 2023 Points Table?
The ‘for’ column represents the total number of runs scored and wickets lost by that team during the IPL season, while the ‘against’ column represents the total number of runs conceded and wickets taken by that team during the IPL season.
What is the NRR in the IPL Standings?
NRR is an abbreviation for Net Run Rate. In the same event, a team’s NRR is computed as the difference between ‘the number of runs scored by the team to the number of overs faced’ and ‘the number of runs conceded by the team to the number of overs bowled’.
In the Tata IPL 2023 Points Table, how do you determine the net run rate?
As previously stated, a team’s Net Run Rate is computed by comparing ‘the number of runs scored by the team to the number of overs faced’ to ‘the number of runs conceded by the team to the number of overs bowled’ in the same event.
In the Tata IPL 2023 Points Table, how many points are required to qualify?
There is no set number of points required to advance to the Playoffs stage. To advance to the next level, a team must rank among the top four on the points table.